September 21, 2005

Son of a bitch...

This blog typically isn't about my daily life (at least I don't think of it that way). It's more my observations. Today is a little different.

My world just got rocked. Not in a good way. I just found out a friend of mine has been placed in the ICU after a long illness. So far, he's been diagnosed with liver and kidney failure, pneumonia and malnuitrition. His probability of living is not high. Right now, he's too weak to even have most of the tests run that Dr.s want to do. If he lives, he'll be on daily dialysis for the rest of his life.

How did it get so bad? He is an alcoholic. I knew it within days of meeting him, but never mentioned it specifically. His coworkers knew it and despite one person's efforts, they didn't stage an intervention. Had I lived in the same city, I would have done it myself. I fought with him earlier this year after seeing him. I knew he was sick. He knew it too. He promised to get help and said things were getting better. I listened. My mistake. I know what happened to him isn't my fault, but it's hard not to think there is something I could have done.

How much do you have to drink and for how long to have this happen? I don't know. If anyone out there does, could you let me know. It would make me feel better to know the reality.

For now, all I can do is send whatever positive energy I have. Hope he gets better so I can kick the ever-lovin' shit out of him later.

Sorry to be so somber, but I just needed to get this out.

9 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Mitch said...

It takes years and years of hard drinking to destroy your body from alcohol so even if you had staged an intervention a year ago chances are very good he would still be as sick today. I know what I'm talikng about because my mother is an ER nurse and my dad is a minister, so I got to hear all about what alcoholism does from both the cilnical and psychological points of view.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Truly sorry about your friend.

I'm thinking interventions work a lot better in the movies than they do in real life. Been down that road a full time - as the one they were trying to save. Didn't work.

Sometimes you gotta save yourself. Those that love you can only love you and hope you are able to find your way to the shore.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Anisa said...

wow. like buffalo said, the person has to realize it for themself. interventions can plant a seed in someone's head that they may have a problem, but anyone suffering has to hit rock bottom before they'll really look at themself.

sorry you're dealing with this!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's so hard to care so much about someone and know they are destroying themselves and then to feel so helpless to help them. My thoughts are with you and your friend.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Kerry Grace said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Life is precarious . . . and precious. It is a tough row; for both of you.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I am so sorry to hear this. These things are so very, very difficult. Ms. Lovejoy answered your question, so I will just send you a prayer for peace.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger StrangeMadness said...

When one is an alcoholic, they always think they're going to be able to get better tomorrow, that their life is not affected by it. The most important thing is for them to realize it really is a life threatening problem.

He can get through this, and is lucky to have you around to help.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Munkey, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I'm saddened, truly. My thoughts are with you and your friend.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger M said...

best wishes for your friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home