September 12, 2005

Wasting a few slices of tree

I have just ensured that I will receive tons of mail in my new mailbox. How? You might ask. I'll tell you. Hold your horses. Goodness. My story, my pace.

OK, I'm trying to figure out how it is that an entity of the federal government can sell my address and name to commercial enterprises. You think it doesn't happen? Go change your address and watch the variety of junk mail that begins to arrive at your new home. Addressed correctly. Now, I know for a fact that I never gave my name and address to a dentist I've never met. And since very few people actually have my address, I'm pretty certain none of my friends gave him the address either. Now, this isn't a rant against the good dentist who is trying to make an honest living (or at least pay for all that high tech crap in his office) but rather the entity he got my personal information from.

The Post Office. You have no button to opt out. No choice. Now, I can see years ago where this might have been a good thing. Just out of college I got a package from the local "Welcome Wagon" Who picked that as a brand name I so want to know and pummel them for stupidity. I digress. So, you change your address with the US Postal Service and suddenly any marketer has access to your name and your address. Now, my own mother doesn't have this information. Why would I want it available to the general public. Especially when that general public is trying to sell me something I probably don't want or need. Over the next few weeks, I'll keep and post some of the select mail I get that is directly attributable to the Post Office (aka - the Federal Government) selling my good name and location.

Have a nice day.

5 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Blake said...

Sounds like the Feds are going to make a fortune off you.

Blake

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger freethoughtguy said...

I'll fill you in on what I've been doing for a long time with my numerous magazine subscriptions ...

(If possible) Use a spelling variation of your name for each item you subscribe to/sign up for. Then when you get junk mail, you'll know who sold you out!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Schuyler said...

I'm divorced. My ex-wife's name is Laura, and my ex-mother-in-law's name is Jean. I've been divorced for 4 years now. As far as I know, my ex-mother-in-law never changed her last name to my last name. And yet, I still get the random catalog addressed to her first name, my last name. At my new address. Which is 2 addresses removed from my ex-mother-in-law's real address.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger M said...

they must think people actually read junk mail. we look at it for two seconds and then throw it away. it really is a waste of paper, and their money.

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger sdk said...

OMG! I can SO relate to this! We have been in this house for two months tomorrow (thursday). We changed our address the first week. You wouldn't believe the crap we get in the mail. I didn't want to change it. But...lol since I like money, and our checks come in the mail it seemed like the appropriate thing to do. It's SO irritating.

At least we aren't getting the "Penis Enlargement" ad's that I get in my email all the time...LOL There's something to be grateful for!

sdk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home