November 24, 2007

Just do it

My mental to do list is so damn big I might actually have to write it down. I knocked off a big one yesterday by taking my car to the shop. It's funny. I condemn people (mentally) when they bitch about how much car maintenance costs. Then I couldn't keep my trap shut about the cost on this particular mechanical venture. I whined about it to two people. I'm done now, I swear.

Back to my list. I have lived in my condo for about 18 months. I still have boxes I haven't unpacked (or worse clothes that are still neatly folded from 3 moves ago). I was raised a pack-rat. I can't help it. I really might need this shit (not). At a Thanksgiving day dinner I attended a group of people got onto a discussion that if they haven't touched something in 6 months it goes to someone that can use it. Two things in this strike me as odd. I'd like to emulate this idea. But it's odd that people would get rid of things (having been taught never to discard). Secondly, that they would GIVE it to someone else.

I'm not a prick, it's not that I don't want to help people, but if you can't sell something to get rid of it, it's always been my way to throw it in the trash. Yes, I've donated clothes in the past (what a nice little tax deduction that is.) But it's not integral to my system. I'd like it to be, but it's not. I grew up getting hand me down clothes and shopping at Good Will. My favorite portrait of me is in a tattered MN Vikings jersey I got as a hand me down in Jr. High from someone at my mothers church. I wore that jersey to school once. The kid it had previously belonged to knew it was his and said something about it. That shirt never went to school again. I always felt dirty wearing it after that.

I guess the bottom line is do I turn the still serviceable clothing into Good Will (they do that great drive up to the semi thing after Christmas). Get your Tax Deduction here. The amount of boxes people bring to that is simply staggering. I won't even get into the rest of my to do list. You are probably thinking Turkey isn't as good a way to fall asleep as this post. Well, off to the couch with your butt. Have 15 minutes on me.

1 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

I donate to either Salvation Army or a community free clothing center. I never ask for a receipt - my ex did but she was all about money. It's about passing on the bounty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home