November 08, 2007

Need one? Take one. Have one? Leave one.

Take a minute and go sit in a chair you don't normally sit in. Then look around at your stuff. Look at each individual thing. What does that thing say about you? What importance does it have in your world? Could you live without it? Move to the next item. Take your time, I really didn't mean a minute. I meant more like 30 or as many as it takes. (BTW - if it takes hours, then you need to throw some stuff away.)

As you consider your things and the life you lead, does it make you happy? Sad? Motivated? When you have everything someone else dreams of, does it make it any better that it's yours? I know that sounds odd, but think about it. Even if you only have a little, it's more than some have. Even people in prison have some stuff. Something that is theirs. However, there are people that have nothing. Recruits in bootcamp for example have nothing. The only thing they have is what the military provided them. They only have a name and that is sewn on their shirt.

How much of what you have do you need? You personally. Not as something to show off or you need to keep because grandma slackjaw gave it to you. Stuff you really need. Clothing that keeps you warm. Shoes that protect your feet.

Or look at it another way. Does the art on your walls inspire you to go further or is it merely decoration? Does it speak to you in a deep down place you can't get to very often or very easily? Does it wrench you wondering what passion caused each brush stroke from the artists hand. When you fall asleep, is your last thought of how you can look better or how you could be better? It's a wide chasm I know. But which would be the best option?

Have you inspired anyone lately? Do you look around and feel like everyone owes you or that you owe them? Are you sharing or reaching to take? Two paths. Both lead to riches. Which one do you crave?

6 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Blogger G3T Films said...

I'm a hedonist... what does that tell you?








[DISCLAIMER: All or no part of any comment made by this user will contain all or no part of the truth]

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Buffalo said...

In boot camp I had a toothbrush, bar of soap, razor, cigarettes and lighter that were mine...all mine.

Before I left on the ride-a-bout I gave away damn near everything I owned. Most of my clothing and books. All of my furniture. Everything I own will fit in a normal size van.

All I have with me now fits on a scooter.

I don't know what it means.

Have I inspired anyone lately? Nope. Probably not.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

You asked a lot of questions. Suffice it to say I take a daily look at my life.

I am from the "less is more" camp. I like Spartan environments and minimalist decor. If I NEED anything it is more along the lines of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Material things never made me happy.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger JLee said...

I am actually much like lord chimmy said. I am always giving stuff away! I'm weird like that. My husband on the other hand, has all this crap laying around (he builds car audio systems for a hobby) That stresses me out when I see it!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea that the art and decorations on your wall should be inspirational, and not just,well, there for the sake of being there. I'm a minimalist, too. I hate "stuff." Truthfully, most of what I have could be gone.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Munkey I found you from Jacob's site (Think Frustrated). You know when I was the happiest I've ever, ever been? Eight years ago my husband and I sold our house, banked the equity, gave away most of our stuff and put the sentimental things and family stuff we couldn't give away in storage and we moved to a tiny, tiny condo on the beach. I was in heaven and I had hardly any stuff.

Now I have two kids an I'm just as happy - happier - than I was then but I definetly don't feel free like I did then. People need me. But I still clean out sh*t from closets about once a week and donate at least as often. I think it lightens the load. The life-load.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home