November 03, 2007

Here comes the rain again

When I was in college I used to walk in the rain. No umbrella, no jacket, no cares that I was getting wet. We all know everything smells fresh and clean after a rain, but there is something even more nourishing walking in the rain. Sensing the cleansing. Being a part of the power that water brings. Life. The thrumming of the rain on the streets, the cars, the buildings and even on me. A rich bounty.

Walking past people all in a fret over being soaked by the water. Seeing them stare as I passed. The lunatic just walking in the rain. Enjoying the moment for what it was. A simpler time. Less worried about appearances and more interested in the details surrounding me. Opening my mouth to catch the sparkling drops as they fell. Tiny crystal explosions in my mouth. Tiny rivers down my neck into my soaked shirt.

Now I watch the rain from inside. Dreams of different days.

6 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Which is the better dream?

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

I've learned to bypass the looks I get from people when I'm stomping in puddles and kicking up mud with my kid.

There will come a day when I won't have the ability to be childlike. It's a long way off, and I like it that way.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger SS said...

I still enjoy a nice walk in the rain.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't keep an umbrella in my car, and always just walk. No point running, and the rain always feels good once you let yourself go. Most people are tense about it, but if they just let go, they'd realize how enjoyable a stroll in the shower is.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I even once wrote a whole poem about it called "Puddlejumper's Manifesto." I posted it on Poetry.com years upon years ago. I wonder if it's still there...

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

I love walking in the rain.

Usually it's only cold that brings me inside. Cold, counteracted by warm tea or hot chocolate. Mmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home