May 07, 2007

Represent

I’m having a hard time today not being an ugly American. Nothing seems to be going right. I did ok getting a little sandwich for breakfast (despite the odd look of the barista) along with my coffee. Then I managed to buy magazines to look at a newsstand. Returning to my hotel, I was told that I had to leave for the airport at least 3 hours before my flight to ensure a timely arrival for check-in. OK – I had the desk call me a taxi and it arrived more than 30 minutes late. Then the driver wasn’t into getting me to the airport in a hurry. An ensuing argument about the fare (45 Euros more than it cost to get to the hotel) didn’t do much to improve my manners. I’m not complaining. I’m trying to convey that the impressions we give off when traveling are very easy to misconstrue. We find that our tempers rise and our lips and tongues move before we have adequately thought the situation and a proper response thru.

I say we, because I’ve seen the behavior over and over on my travels. I work really hard not to be an ugly American. Sometimes to the point of biting my tongue when perhaps I shouldn’t. But, we are really ambassadors to the world at large when we travel. Gotta represent. (Not even sure I’m allowed to use that phrase, but in this case, it’s fitting.

---------

And we are off to the races in Barcelona, Spain.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Buffalo said...

How difficult is security and customs to deal with?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home