June 07, 2006

Contrary to popular belief

I recognize the signs of being contrary just to be contrary. I was once that way. My way was the only way. I'd disagree with everyone just because I didn't want to be like everyone else. Never wanted to be a sheep in a herd of sheep. Never. One day, I realized what I was doing and decided that I would do what I felt was right period. It didn't matter if that also happened to be what everyone else was doing.

My mother asked me once (a day) if everyone else was jumping off the bridge, would I do it too. My answer everyday was 'depends why they are jumping'. See, it's not about the act itself, it's the reason behind the act.

I love watching people push elevator buttons repeatedly when it doesn't do any good. Just like most elevators Close Door button is not active. It's just there to give people something to do. The same applies to soda vending machines. People stand there and push the button over and over until their soda is finally released from it's chilly prison into their hot little hands. Once is usually suffiencient unless you lack physical strength or you were unsure of yourself when you pushed the button.

I saw a video in 6th grade that impacted me greatly. It was about the psychology of peer pressure and in focus groups, people may have a completely different opinion, but follow the group anyway to keep from being different. Why do so many people have a need to be like everyone else? This has always confused me. Average. Why would you want to fit into the masses so perfectly that you lose your own identity?

7 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Still Searching... said...

I think being average, ordinary, terrifies me. I don't know why.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger G3T Films said...

I totally disagree, sometimes, as long as everyone else does as well... crud, who am I?

Another good post.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Maybe because they don't like themselves.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger LyZa said...

just one word.

ACCEPTANCE

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Your absence is duly noted.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Anna said...

I think people who do that can generally be described as having a "prey" mentality. They hide in groups and try not to stand out so they won't be chosen for the hunt.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Just this Girl said...

i always push that close door button. are you sure it doesn't work? the open door one does. although sticking your foot in the doorway is much quicker

 

Post a Comment

<< Home