April 15, 2006

Getting it done

I seem to be able to be that guy that can 'get it done'. I recently closed on a condo. After I'd signed the paperwork with my realtor, I realized I wanted him to give me back half of his commission. I didn't feel he was doing any of the 'work' he was supposed to be doing. He also made the mistake of telling me that this sale was a 'gift' to him. He put up a good defense, but ultimately, I got my way. He required paperwork from the builder and the lender. Heh heh... no problem. Then he hedged and said his broker wouldn't allow him to give me the amount I wanted. Yep, I called the broker, explained my position and played my ace in the hole. See, the 'paperwork' the agent required wasn't a stock item. They had to be created. So, I had the lender and the seller include the amount I wanted back. lol My agent didn't really talk to me at closing. Nor did he give me the gift basket that a real estate agent normally gives to a client. What do I care? In his words, "You seem to be really good at accomplishing the impossible."

You want more? Oh, dear. There are so many. Let's see, I'm the first person in the history of my University to graduate without taking Algebra. Yep, paid for the class at least 4-5 times, couldn't seem to show my work, so I never passed. (Or I dropped it.) Anyway, I wrangled with the Dean and ended up not having to take it.

Instead of a BFA, I have a Bachelor of Science in Fine Arts. Yeah, you figure that one out, you let me know. I've never heard of a BSFA before either.

I convinced a creditor to retro-actively remove some information from my credit report resulting in a 104 point gain in my credit score. I did it with a simple phone call.

When I went to college, I received acceptance to two universities. I did so without ever taking an SAT or ACT test. I remember the final interview at one of the schools. Older man, very distinguished behind his too large and ostentatious desk. Flipping through my file. "Well, it looks like we've got everything we need to admit you except your SAT score." Me - "I didn't take it." Him - "That's OK, the ACT will work." Me - "I didn't take that either." Him - "The PSAT?" (The PSAT is a preliminary SAT). "Nope." Him - "Well, you're going to have to take one of those tests before we can admit you." I sat for a few seconds and considered his position, then I leaned forward in the squeaky leather chair. "Look, do you want my money or don't you?" He blinked a couple of times and then smiled, "Welcome to our school, we look forward to seeing you this fall."

Yeah, it's all about finding the motivator. Often times, it's a simple matter of convincing people that they want to help you because it's in their best interests. Or you make them feel good about themselves for doing something for you. This doesn't really match what professionals say, but hey, go with what works. Last year, someone gave me the following quotation, since that day, I've seen the validity in it. “When you really want something to happen, the whole universe conspires so that your wish comes true“. Paulo Coelho from “The Alchemist” The bottom line is that I really want things to happen. Strangely enough, they do. What's your dream?

9 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Fuckkit said...

Nice one :) My technique is to nod meekly and accept whatever they tell me.

I like yours better.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger SS said...

Oh, you should have been a lawyer!!

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

The no algebra impresses the hell out of me. Wish i had you to negotiate for me.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Annalis said...

This also shows what can be accomplished by not giving up or giving in.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Lil Bit said...

Hmmmphf... maybe I need a lesson or 2. ;)

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Still Searching... said...

I agree, everyone does have their motivation for helping you or not. I have odd motivations myself, so it's really just a matter of finding it.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Well holy hell. You're coming with me when I buy my next house. Got that? I'll even feed you some lasagna if you get hungry.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Just this Girl said...

bah! i took pre-algebra, algebra I and II, trig, pre-cal, Calculus, Physics, and now i'm taking Physics II.

luckyyyyy

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger LyZa said...

being a brat... i just usually make a tantrum. ^_^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home