January 13, 2006

Where's my nametag?

You ever wish you had a job with your name on your shirt? Talking stereotypes and all, wouldn't that be a great kind of job in most cases? No wondering what you are going to wear to work. You get up and throw on a shirt that looks just like the one you wore yesterday. You get up on Monday and repeat. Perhaps you wear jeans (which would probably beat the uniform pants, which would be a downside.)

You go to work and none of your co-workers ever forgets your name. I mean after all, it's on your shirt. Now granted, you might work with some folks that are reading impaired, but most people can read simple names. Can't they? I don't want to get off on a naming tangent, but most people I run into with their name on their shirt have one or two syllable names. BOB, KEVIN, JOHN, etc...

I'm not saying these people are lacking intelligence either. They simply chose a different career path. I guess technically, most of these people would be called blue collar. Some upsides I haven't mentioned. Budweiser really is the King of Beers in some worlds. Whether it comes in 30 can suitcases or long neck bottles. This is the land of the nice cold one. Swigging from the neck with the refrigerator door open. No worries about whether you bought the right shoes. Generally, a nice pair of work boots would suffice. No worrying if your tie matches or has a tiny residual morsel of that lunch meeting you dripped sweet and sour sauce on your tie. There is no coming home from the office and whipping out the laptop and going back to work.

Burping loudly and proudly as you finish off that ice cold beer. Kicking your feet back in the lounge chair and surveying the domain. Knowing it's all yours and you could give a damn about Mr. Jones down the street and what kind of car he drives (but could the SOB bring back the socket set he borrowed last fall when he was working on the 'car'). Your preferred sport might be bowling. Where once again, you have your name on your shirt. And beer is definitely involved. Are we seeing a trend here?

4 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jada said...

I used to wait tables years ago when I was in college and I used to love my uniform. In particular, I used to love my apron. It was basically just a set of big pockets to tie on and I could stuff all manner of crap in there. We would go out drinking after our shift and while everyone would take their aprons off before going to the bar, I would leave mine on because it was so convienent. Wow, I really miss those aprons.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Still Searching... said...

Phfft! Now I've got that song stuck in my head...the naaaaame game...ugh.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Jozee said...

We used to switch our nametags when I was in the restaurant biz.
Wear the names of people who'd quit. Sure, I'd answer to Giselle
Who the heck wants the clientele knowing your real name?

But ya, the fun afterwards. It didn't include bowling tho...

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Lil Bit said...

I've had jobs where I wore my name on my shirt.
Not all it's cracked up to be. Believe me. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home