January 02, 2006

Bloody well time

I'm thinking my topic today is probably quite timely. Is there anything that surpasses a perfectly made Bloody Mary? Just the right amount of spice. Tomato juice, with horseradish and hot sauce, pepper and worchestershire sauce. Oh, and that other little ingredient vodka. Grey Goose please. Not that I'm going to taste the difference, but I'm a snob. Let's make it the best shall we? If there is is one thing we can say the french do well, it's their alcohol. lol

My first experience with a Bloody Mary (BM) was way later in life than it should have been. Coming when I was past 30. I could have benefited greatly from the wisdom of the BM during my college days. I had my first BM in Cancun. I was on Christmas holiday. Loving the sand, the waves, the tropical climate. The combination of these combined with the fantastic variety of drinks the bartender could (and did) produce made for a wicked hang-over one morning. I suffered to attend breakfast with my fellow guests and really wanted to just die.

A wise member of our group Jack ordered me a spicy BM. The smell nearly overpowered me, but as I sipped the spicy concoction, I felt my heart rate increase and my desire to die decrease. The tomato juice was fresh. This kind of fresh doesn't come out of a can. But rather from perfectly ripe tomatoes and the effort to make perfect tomato juice. I wondered by the bottom of the glass if I hadn't found some kind of magic potion.

I was born again. Not to religion, but to the all mighty BM. If we could all just bow our heads for a moment to the infinite wisdom of the man or woman that first conceived this drink and gave it birth...

Thank you. As I type these words, I'm indeed sipping this marvelous drink. Not because I need one, but because I love them. It's lacking in the spice department. I seem to have run dry of the Tabasco sauce. I do have the horseradish and the pepper though, so it's spicy enough since I started with The Tabasco BM mix 'extra spicy'. Sorry, I don't have the time or inclination to make my own tomato juice. Although, I do think fondly of Cancun every time I have a BM.

So, raise your glass and cheer in the new year as you move sluggishly though the day paying for your sins of New Years Eve. May you get everything you deserve in 2006 and may you deserve everything you get. Cheers.

5 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Yes! Yes! And again, I say YES! I adore the BM gods! You can have my share of vodka - top shelf and otherwise. Alcohol makes me too sickie to even consider downing a swig. I'll Virgin Mary it any day of the week...unless the shmucks don't have horseradish. Who ever heard of a fucking BM without horseradish?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger mikster said...

I've never had a bloody mary...nor the desire...must be something wrong with me...lol...have a great new year!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jada said...

Oh my God, I love a good bloody mary. I had one once where the glass was rimmed in Old Bay seasoning, and I must confess that it was nearly orgasmic.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Schuyler said...

Isn't it kind of funny how some people can absolutely love some foodstuff, and other people absolutely despise it? Like Blue Cheese. Or spicy hot wings. And we accept this as perfectly normal for some people to like some things and not others. But yet, when we put dog/cat/fish/monkey food in front of our non-human friends, we fully expect them to like it. Nay, devour it down.

My father in law says that humans are not rational beings. That deep down, we're driven by the same thing that every other being on the planet is: desire. We like the taste of some foods, so, we eat them. When we're craving bananas, it's most likely our body's way of telling us we need potassium. But instead of thinking, "hey, I need to eat some food with potassium." We think "Hey, a banana sure would be good right now..." We like the way sex feels, so we procreate. I mean, if sex didn't feel good, there sure would be a lot few people around, wouldn't there? It's not like teenagers in the backs of cars are thinking "hey, we need to produce some offspring so our species will survive." They're thinking "oh man oph man oh man oh man oh man this feels good..."

This also could explain why some of us have addictive personalities. We go beyond just what our bodies need, into what our desires tempt us into. Alcoholism, overeatting, etc... They're just the desire part of our physiology in overdrive. They go beyond desire into _need_.

So, if we're all driven by desire, why do some people like some things and other people despise them? Could it be slight physiological differences? Or a different set of desires built into all of us to keep things interesting? After all, we were all the same, it sure would be boring, wouldn't it?

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Lil Bit said...

OMG. You just made my mouth water! LOL
I had a BM on NY's day... to take off the hair of the dog. I just KNOW you coulda made me a better one! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home