August 23, 2005

Random acts

Thank you constant readers for your words yesterday on what inspires you. I see everything from pain to love with everything in between from a god-awful outfit, money, competition, desire, boredom and mania. It's interesting to see what motivates others and I appreciate your sharing.

I guess it's my turn to answer the question. What inspires me?

Intelligence, surprise, random acts of kindness, clean design, money used to motivate me, but less and and less as time goes by. I'm not ruled by the almighty dollar anymore. (This changes depending on how far away payday is... lol).

Let's talk about Random Acts of Kindness (RAK). Tell you what, add in karma to the mix and you've got something going. It's so easy to do a RAK. Here's an easy one... you are in a parking garage that costs $2-3 dollars. Pay the toll for the car behind you... Imagine the suprise and the smile THAT would cause. Or actually holding a door for someone that is a little further behind you than you normally would. Let someone in your lane in traffic instead of speeding up to keep them from getting in. (Come on, we all do it.) What else can you do? Let someone with less items go in front of you at the supermarket... oh, that's a good one... and so easy.

Smile and tell someone you are having a great day when you aren't. I did this once years ago when I was working as a salesman. I was having a really bad day. I mean rip someone's head off kind of day. This couple entered the store and before I could greet them they asked how I was doing. "I'm fantastic," I replied or something to that effect. "Well, then you are our guy." I sold that guy and his wife a ton of new clothes. Enough that I saw the difference in my paycheck the next week. All for a little lie that made THEM feel good. And you know what? By the end of my time with them, I was fantastic. Not just over the sale. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm. Try it and see.

Pick up some trash that isn't your responsibility. Oh, this could be fun... going to a fast food place for lunch? Ask the window person how much the bill is for the guy/gal behind you. If it's less than 5 bucks. Pay for it. Smile and drive away... The chain reaction is inevitable sometimes... and it comes back so much bigger.

5 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger M is for... said...

In college my sorority collected quarters and would go feed the meters at the metered lots through out the day.
At the time an expired meter was a $30 fine - $30 is huge for a student.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger celtgirl said...

Totally illegal to feed the meters in Texas. Never have really understood that. If it's your own car, you can run out and put another quarter in, but if it's not your car, you can't. Stupid.

I attempt to be a friendly driver, although I've had my days.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger drunkbh said...

Pay It Forward. Wouldn't it be nice if the rest of civilization played along?

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Those are great. Have you read Random Acts of Kindness (I think there are two books). They are filled with ideas like these.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger sdk said...

RAK's rock. Course, I'm a big believer in philanthropy in all forms, and have actually dedicated my life to such madness, and I guess that leaves me a little biased.

sdk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home