August 25, 2007

i aspire

Why do we quote people that are dead?

We aspire. Simple concept. Some people achieve greatness with their actions, words or deeds. Everyone has moments of extreme clarity of thought. The perfect statement at the right time. Capturing these moments leads others to aspire to bring this energy or success unto themselves. We pull the shadow of greatness on like a mantle. Repeating the words of inspiration. Leading others to our finds.

Often, the words we quote were tailored for a platform. We can all even name many of the same statements and who uttered them. "It's not what your your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." - Kennedy. "I have a dream" Dr. King. "We shall never surrender." - Churchill.

Others are more obscure, yet equally as powerful given proper context. "I have not yet begun to fight." - John Paul Jones. "Nuts." - Brig. Gen. Anthony McAuliffe

A writer named Anonymous seems to be the most prolific of quotation generators of all. "Character is a victory, not a gift." or "Genius is the talent of a person who is dead." The last one is particularly appropriate to my thoughts today. I can aspire, hope, dream and strive all I wish. True genius will simply have to wait.

1 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Schuyler said...

"They" is another often referenced writer/commenter. "They say that when babies are born, the first thing mothers do is count fingers and toes." Funny, but that's not the first thing my wife and I did. I guess "They" don't know what THEY are talking about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home