October 24, 2006

House of cards

You ever feel like your life is the same as building a house of cards but no-one ever taught you the trick that allows you to really build a big one?

That's a little how I feel lately. It's hard to describe. Other than a feeling that you are doing everything you can, yet there is a secret out there that could make it so much easier. I know everyone probably feels this way sometimes, but it's not a feeling I like and it's not so easy to shake.

When I was a kid, there was a woman that lived two doors down from us. Mrs. Rainy. She was old, and really mean old. I was her paperboy for years when I got old enough to do that. Before then, she was a neighborhood icon. Sweet old woman that always had a smile on her face. I recall at 93 she was still walking downtown (a few blocks away) every day. Like clockwork. Everyday.

I think they finally moved her into an assisted living community when she was 98. I remember hearing about her being at least 103 or 4 at one point. I imagine she still had that smile on her face. Like someone told her the secret. Or maybe she just figured it out. Perhaps there is no secret. You just do as you do and hope you did your best.

A toast to smiles at a hundred.

4 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

There is no secret, my friend. You get knocked down ten times, you get up eleven. They might beat you, but they can't whip you as long as you keep trying.

No matter how bad we think we have it at any given time; someone else has it worse.

Life is for living.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger celtgirl said...

You are living and exploring. You aren't sitting back and letting the world pass you by.

I think that you are closer to the "secret" than most people.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Schuyler said...

The secret? Live life. Don't just avoid death. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'"--Hunter S. Thompson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home