September 17, 2006

A time revisited

I tried very hard to get off the beaten tourist routes (not that you can really get away it seems) and see a bit of Prague outside the crowds and excitement. This led me to Strana park. Picture a park set on the side of a really steep hill. South of the castle district, you can see the grassy area below the point of the tower that looks like a mini eiffel tower, but shaped a little different. I didn't climb to the tower through the park my legs and feet were simply too tired and too sore to attempt the journey.

I have to say that venturing away from the tourist areas isn't exactly bleak, but you are quickly lost in an array of signage that is niether appealing or understandable. Gone are the english translations on the windows and increasing feelings of tresspassing are probably not just part of my imagination here. I do not feel welcome in many of the places I walked.

One highlight of the day had to be going into a puppet shop and having a woman teach me how to manipulate a marionette. This is something I've never attempted before and I left with a cheesy grin on my face. The two I liked were very expensive though. $200 and $450. I didn't try to haggle. Somehow it would have lessened my experience. I thanked her for her time and made my exit. I'd love to buy one of these to put in my office, but i don't know where I'd put it, nor is it really me to by handmade craft type items. Give me chic, shiney and new, and I'm a little more apt to buy in to the concept. But, it was nice to feel that childlike delight even if for a few brief moments.

1 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger HannoverFist said...

You must post pictures of these places and things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home