September 16, 2006

Ride 'em cowboy

I've never seen so many tourists in my life. Even in Paris there are not this many tourists. Perhaps Venice could rival for total number, but I doubt it.

As I watched the sun set behind the castle tonight, I agonized that the sun would never set on Prague. It's a Monet scene for certain. The Sky is partly cloudy and the light from behind the clouds mankes many shades of gray and blue that blend in fantastic harmony. While I waited, I opted to retrace my steps to a wine bar that I saw. Entering, I have to wonder. I'm the only client. "Are you open?" "Yes," comes the reply. He advertises over a 150 wines available by the glass and i s reluctant to open a new bottle, but reasserts several times that he will. We settle on a bordeaux from the St. Emillion region. A glass of that and a bottle of water and he leaves me to my thoughts about the day.

I'm waiting for total darkness to fall so I can shoot some pictures of Prague by night. Soft music plays in the background, a counterpoint to the wild racing of my mind as I relive the 10 hours of walking I've done today. Up the hills to the castle and down. My muscles stiffen as I rest. I've never seen so much in one day in any of my travels. I feel as though I haven't covered but one percent of this city of two million people. I enjoy the respite of being the only customer in this little wine bar.

The mix of architecture here is really amazing. From the 'castle' to the gothic churches and other styles I can only guess at the names for. There is at least as much crystal for sale here as there is glass in Vencie, probably more.

I road the tram service earlier today but was leery of making changes and trying to get on the right metro train. However, I managed the feat and managed to get myself dropped directly in front of my hotel about an hour before metro service ends. The streets are quiet and I have immense satisfaction of an adventure completed. Well, at least for today. Tomorrow is a whole 'nother day.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

I hope you are taking piles of pictures and reams of notes This is good stuff. Don't trust it to memory alone. You're experiencing such sensory input it would be easy to lose some of it in the forest of sights, sounds and smells.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home