October 16, 2006

Appreciate

Today, I have a rather strange observation. Not all finger nail clippers are alike. Now, I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone as we all know the quality of an object varies by production method, raw materials and design. I notice this because I have misplaced my primary fingernail clipper and had to go with a secondary inferior unit this morning. My nails are clipped and looking neat, but the experience was simply not it's usual pleasure. Nor are the cuts neatly as round as normal. Honestly, I'm used to a little more precision.

I realize that this is such a small thing and I'm not really complaining (much). I just find it interesting how we become attached to mundane (and not so mundane) things in our lives and we fail to give them the appreciation they are due. I could give you lots of examples, like the mouse on you computer. How often do you clean it? Only when it starts skipping? Or are we all into laser mice now? No more rolling mouse for us. We'll take What is a laser for $65 Alex.

Consider for a moment the the ballpoint pen or roller ball that you take notes with, jot lists, and sign checks (does anyone still sign checks?). The development of a working ball point style pen took many years and many creative people. I could find you a reference to trace it's origins, but I'm tired and not likely to do so today. Just think how you treat this creation that allows you to put thoughts to paper is such and easy manner. And how we treat the object when it doesn't function as expected. Makes you think doesn't it?

3 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger G3T Films said...

I prefer a rolling mouse because it performs better on a variety of surfaces, some laser mouses skip on multi-coloured mouse pads etc. But they are getting harder to find. Oh yes, I only clean it when it skips.

And a non-performing pen is an enemy. An ENEMY I tell you!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Still Searching... said...

Even amongst the most mundane of everyday items, I have "favourites". Some things just fit better.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Just this Girl said...

i can't find my good pair of tweezers
it's heartbreaking

and i only eat malt o meal from one bowl. no other. i'm weird like that.

anyway
i found you again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home