July 05, 2006

All that AND a bag of chips

People often date themselves by talking about the price of gas. "I remember when when gas was .29 a gallon or .69" or whatever price it was.

I've found a new measure. A bag of chips. Used to be a bag of chips weighed 1 pound and it cost 99 cents. Now, you get a mere 2 3/4 OZ for 99 cents and 4.5 oz for 1.39. I don't even think you can buy a 1 pound bag of chips anymore.

I went to the store to buy some chips for the 4th yesterday (I mean, you can't really have the 4th of July without some traditional BBQ food can you?) I picked up the bag and it felt like all I had grabbed was the plastic foil bag and a pile of air. I had to do a double take to make sure I'd actually picked up the bag.

I saw a clip on TV a few years ago and the producers were trying to claim that the smaller bags (then about 9 oz) was consumer driven. Yeah, I know so many people were writing to Lays, Doritos, Utz, etc... saying, "Look, the bags are just too big, we can't eat that many chips. Can you please make them smaller? Oh, and while you are at it, can you keep the price the same so we think we are getting the same thing in the bag?"

Pretty soon, we'll be paying 99 cents for 5 chips. That's not even a Portion is it?


Image Copyright Doritos

2 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Buffalo said...

They are doing their part to fight obesity.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Lil Bit said...

hmphf. exactly. =/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home