January 22, 2006

Say what?



The words just aren't there to comfort the pain. You want to reach out and take it into yourself. To live it. To breath it. To understand it. But you won't. You can't. With each of us resides the desire to become empathetic to another. To absorb the hurt for them. We reach out with frail words that do not alleviate our feelings, but rather place them under a glaring spotlight. Each utterance from our lips a failure. We squirm under the microscope of our own device. Did we fail or was it merely our perception? Only the other can know, and they cannot say for they know not that which we seek.

5 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger emeralda said...

yeah you name it. the worst thing is, when somebody tries to comfort you with words that relate their own pain to yours or try to demask your pain for what it really is and make it look smaller or try to destract you when you just want to stay in focus.
the best thing was when she took my hand and took me to the piano room and played beethoven for me. it soothed my soul it was the language that my tortured hear understood. tears flew, ebbed out and finally i took the flute and joined in her playing.
the pain was transformed....because what we seek is not comfort but understanding on a deeper level than words can confirm

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Annalis said...

I felt this way many times, MM. Well written.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

I will always remember an anonymous nurse that quietly held my hand one pain-filled night.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Still Searching... said...

Sometimes, words just aren't needed, just being there is.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Lil Bit said...

I'm with 30something. Close to home. A lil too close. damn. Poignant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home