February 13, 2006

The delivery

One night my senior year of college, I was watching TV with my roommates. It must not have been too late at night. Probably around Jeopardy time or something like that. So there is a knock on the door. We all look at each other. "I'm not expecting anyone." It's universal. Oook. I get up and answer the door. It's Brown. UPS, you know? He's got a good sized box and it's for me. *eyes narrow* I'm not expecting any packages. So, I sign for it and take it into the living room.

I open the flaps. And reach in and pull out a beaten round metal bowl. WTF? I dig further and pull out utensils, a wooden handle and a little cookbook. It's a wok. Hand-hammered in China. I look around at my roommates and ask. What the hell? They are laughing. "You don't remember do you?" Remember what? You came home from the bar a couple months ago. The TV was on. An infomercial was playing. OMG. I remember now. The food looked so good. I whipped out my VISA card and ordered it.

Now, you might think that an alcohol induced late night purchase was a waste of money that would never be used. Lemme tell ya. I got every dime out of that hand hammered wok. I used it for more than 10 years. I perfected my own versions of beef & broccoli and beef & snow peas. I also mastered the same dishes with chicken. For a very long time, all I ate was chinese food. My roommates would ask when I was going to crank up the wok again. Damn. I'm off to go shopping for a new hand hammered wok from China. I think I'll remember ordering this one. lol

7 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger 'Ain said...

You should try claypots.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay...this is just strange. My husband like 2 days ago said he wanted one of these totally out of the blue. Hmmmm I wonder if he's reading your blog!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger M is for... said...

Drunken Shopping strikes me an action that is not isolated to a hammer wok for you.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger sdk said...

I'm baaaa-aack. I decided to keep Green Apples alive afterall. So...that's where I'll be, and I hope to do a little better at posting regularly this time around!

I'm glad to see you're still here. I was going through my links to make sure they all worked, and thank GOD you're still here! I love reading you!

sdk

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Just this Girl said...

i do worse when i'm drunk
except my package was "delivered" at the hospital!
this was funny
and you can definitely come over and cook for me!
i'll let ya!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger SS said...

Thank God I didn't have a credit card in college. I would have ordered so much random crap and I would still be paying for it. At least yours was practical!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Lil Bit said...

drunken shopping sounds worse than drunken blogging!!! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home