January 26, 2006

Illusion or reality



If I had to pick my middle name, it would be Antithesis. Not only is this one of my favorite words, but it describes me oh, so well. People have tried to stereotype me for years. To pin me down to a category. To classify me. It never really works. It's like nicknames. They just don't freakin' stick to me.

When I was in the military, my last name didn't even stick. The military is a Last Name Becomes First Name kind of place. In basic training, there were so many times when my fellow trainees were punished with having to do push-ups for calling me by my first name. I mean it's weird they would remember it when you see a name tag with 'MUNKEY' on it everyday and they still called me by 'MAD'. As I moved from base to base people always thought my last name was 'MAD'. *shakes head*

I'm heavily tattooed... ripped jeans, motorcycle boots and a Harley T-shirt are a patented Munkey look. I have three large gauge hoop earrings. Both ears are pierced. At the same time, I have beautiful suits and custom made shirts I wear with woven Italian silk ties. If you see me in the first look, two hours later you wouldn't recognize me in the second if you didn't know me. I'm not a pretty prada boy, my gaze is more likely to make you feel slightly invisible. That said, most people would say I'm nice and I don't have hidden agenda's. Like a Hell's Angel or a Bandido, it's all good 'til you mess with me or my friends (or those that can't defend themselves.)

Often to look at me, you wouldn't think I could put together a coherent sentence, but I have one of the largest vocabularies of anyone I know. I use words very specifically to mean very specific things. In fact, I've been accused (correctly) of being a skilled semanticist. I tend to talk slow. I also speak very softly most of the time.

I've been told I'm very intimidating, but once people get to know me, they are astounded that they were scared to talk to me. Hello, I'm just incredibly shy. Despite the fact that you don't think so. Reach out. Take a chance and talk to me. You might discover the rarest of things. A connection.

9 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger LyZa said...

i like that kind. makes me wonder what they will do next.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Still Searching... said...

LOL. I know this feeling well. I'm a rather shy and unassuming individual. I don't say much until I know someone well. When I do open my mouth and speak, I'm often greeted with, "huh?", "that's some vocabulary you have there". (Really? Well, I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.)

And for me, it's ALL about the connection. Otherwise, what's the point? :-)

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Reality is an illusion, my friend.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Alice said...

i have a boy's name for my middle name. i used to HATE it growing up. "antithesis" might have been even more cumbersome, though :-)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Just this Girl said...

yes... why haven't we seen pics of you?
i'm curious about this suit and tie and "make me feel invisible" stare...

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Delte777 said...

haa ha haa...so a girl that will eat her own organs peaks your interest aye? sound like my kind of person! lol...i dunno though if i'd be impressed by the duality of your look. seeing as how i'm lightly tattood, lightly pierced, corporate punk/devils angel/why bother with anything other than sweats today kind of person myself. lol.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Grace said...

Well Mad (I hope you don't mind me calling you Mad), I'm gonna go with Christel on this one: LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!!
please :)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Well done, Munkey. A while ago I mentioned that I'm Miss Paradox. I think we'd make a fine match for people-watchers.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Lil Bit said...

*incredibly intrigued* ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home