October 18, 2005

Sartorial Splendor

An admin in my office commented to me today that another guy in the office had a good eye for visual. "Conservative, but not too much. You know, he always dresses nice. Not as nice as you, but we're not used to your level."

My level. Hmm. Just what is my level? I've been reading men's fashion magazines for at least 20 years. Since I was a kid really. I've forgotten more about fashion than most men will ever know. Does this mean I'm a fashion plate? Hardly, but I do put together interesting combinations when I dress. I championed the chino pants with black shirt and shoes for Friday casual in one office. I quit wearing it when I realized both men and women had begun copying me. I moved to black slacks with french blue shirts.

I quit wearing ties when our corporate policy clearly states that men will wear ties and jackets. Yeah, right. I wear bright colors when warranted. I have clothes I only wear in the winter. Conversely, I have clothes I only wear in the summer. The same goes for shoes. I have pairs that are only for summer and a few winter only shoes. Yes, I'm a clothes whore. We've established that. Moving on...

Today for example, I was wearing a custom made shirt, in a beautiful gray/silver herringbone pattern and a gold/gray tie (yeah, I break my own rules sometimes too) with black slacks. I looked nice, but nothing special if you ask me. Oh, and before you get all bent about me getting custom made shirts, I have yet to find an off the rack shirt that fits right. If the neck and arms fit then it looks like Omar the Tentmaker made the shirt body. So, I don't have a lot of choice in the matter. It doesn't cost appreciably more than a good shirt off the rack either. Not to mention that with custom made shirts you don't get plastic buttons that shatter at the cleaners.

11 Comments:

At 1:51 AM, Blogger drunkbh said...

Everybody has got a little whore in them even if it is about clothes.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger M is for... said...

Oddly enough, my dear MM, I have no comment =)
M

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Buffalo said...

I've been in deep sh*t ever since Bush started bombing Iraq. They killed Omar the Tentmaker which means there is no one to make clothes for me.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Mad Munkey said...

Latest US intelligence sources (aka CNN) have determined that Omar's son Asim Kabul, will be taking over his fathers Big & Tall business. He is expected to introduce new fabrics and patterns designed to actually create the visual illusion that his clients are thinner/smaller than they appear in the mirror.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Alice said...

i love love love a guy who can dress well. and can wear bright shirts. bring on the metrosexuals!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Her Daddy's Eyes said...

I, too, am quite the clothes whore. I can't stand it when people make a big deal about it when they see me though. "OOOHHHH, Eyes, you look so nice today." I always feel like I should stand up and let them touch me or something. Eeewww...teachers are so weird. They all dress in moo moos and then freak when someone doesn't.

Oooppps, sorry. This was supposed to be about you...

I LOVE guys who dress well. There's nothing better. Indeedy.

~Eyes

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think we need pictures please.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Mad Munkey said...

What's it like to want? LOL Perhaps I can post a pic of the shirt later, but not today...

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm with neonalune...pics wud be nice.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger introspectre said...

When Jack and I were still long distance "dating" I asked him once how he looked in a suit. His reply:

"Like British fucking royalty."

I believe I became a puddle on the floor, or something like that. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, the well dressed man.

That said, my sexiest outfit on a man is still jeans and a white T-shirt.
So boy next door. Yum.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Men who dress well are just fucking delicious. That's all I have to say on this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home