September 25, 2007

What's it like on the moon?

Since my accident, pretty much every opener people have used in any conversation with me is, "how do you feel?" I'm tired of hearing it and I'm sure it's genuine, but I'm over it already. Yesterday, I was thinking about it and wondered what it was like to be Neil Armstrong. I'm sure he's just an average guy that got selected to something most of us can't even dream about.

Astronauts that have been in space frequently say there is nothing they'd rather do and nothing they'd trade for the experience or the chance to do it again. I wonder if the same is true for answering the question. "What's it like to be in space?" Even more so since it's even rarer to walk on the moon. I bet the frustration level of hearing the same questions over and over is simply immense.

I have another friend that is going through a set of major medical incidences and I sent her am IM last night. I purposely didn't ask how she was doing. If she wants to share, I'm happy to hear it, but I thought she'd like a break, so I asked what the most interesting thing she'd seen this week was. Her response was amazing. So much better than hearing the meds were or weren't working. It's about mindset.

Her response: Fall taking over my little lake in TN. There was this moment when I was staring at the treeline of the water and the woods. I caught a tree-full of golden leaves fly off the branches and flutter through the air. The sun shimmered gold on that deep green ripples of the lake I love so much and the leaves fell lightly on the water. Took my breath away.

Like her, I could have easily died due to my accident. It makes me take a minute to enjoy smaller details of life. I pay better attention to what people are saying rather than waiting for them to finish speaking so I can get my .02 in. I'm not always successful, but I'm trying harder. And sometimes trying is all you can do to move forward.

5 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Miss Ash said...

So....how are you feeling???

Bhahahhahah, oh please I just had to :)

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Hermes said...

A thoughtful post. We should all try to listen more and speak less. Good for the soul.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger JLee said...

What a beautiful response. *sigh* I like what you did here. People often talk about/dwell on negative things, even when out of concern, but it doesn't help much. How much better to talk about the joy of being alive and everyday miracles.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's it like in a Studio simulated to look just like the moon? "I'd give anything to do that again."

;)

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

When you're mired in the miasma of creeping depression brought on by health problems or life altering events it is very difficult to see anything beyond the darkness that surrounds.

I wonder how often "how do you feel" denotes true interest and concern rather than giving nod to social protocol?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home