August 06, 2005

Stand up

Someone recently asked me if I had any regrets. I gave them two and kind of shrugged the question off. I'm not the kind of person who regrets the things they have done. Those things make me, well... Me!

However, tonight I was reminded of something that happened almost 20 years ago in high school. We had a girl in our school who had a serious disfigurement either through accident or birth, I don't know. Her hip was out of place. It forced her to walk with a pronounced twist in her walk. I can't even qualify it as a limp. It's way past that. Anyway, she was short and not really attractive. (Not ugly, just not someone you'd normally look at and consider.)

So, I was walking out of the cafeteria one day and these three guys were making fun of her. Not behind her back, but right there in front of her. Mimicking her walk. Basically, being assholes. At the time, I didn't think much of them or the situation. Years later, I wish I had knocked them on their asses. Literally. She never did anything to them. I can't imagine the courage this girl displayed in not crying in front of everyone. I went on my way (imagining that I had somewhere to be and thus not defending this girl.) I have regretted that choice in my life ever since. Who do you stand up for if not those that can't stand up for themselves? Like the two marines on trial in A Few Good Men. Instead of standing up for the weaker soldier, they killed him.

A few years after college, I saw a very cute girl out somewhere. I'm positive to this day that these two women were the same person. Her hip was fixed and she walked normal, but something about her eyes told me that it was the same girl. Surgery? Perhaps so. Perhaps a talented Dr. found a way to fix the bones in her hip and thigh to allow her to lead a 'normal' life.

One thing is certain. I'd be a better person today if I had stopped from my hurrying out of the cafeteria that day and confronted those boys. I hope in my heart that this young woman found a way to overcome the stupidity of a few high school boys. Boys whose parents obviously didn't have the ability to raise their children properly, leading them to pick on the misfortunes of another for the sake of sport. I have a penchant to rooting for the underdog, and perhaps the reason is that if I root for the underdog, I don't have to fear any bullies. Taking a stand isn't always easy, in fact I've found it's always the harder choice. But failure to take a stand is to condone the poor behavior of others or even to be a party to what is happening.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Mauser*Girl said...

^^ Thanks for commenting on my blog! I like what you have here, too, and I'll check it out more.

To answer your questions, the range I go to is Shooter's Paradise (http://www.shootersparadise.com/). It's an indoor range that is less than a mile from my house.

And the M1911 I did have was an M1911A1 made by Thompson (it's a re-issue, not an actual WWII piece). I loved it. But it was time to get something else.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Hermes said...

High School is a gentle pond full of cruel piranha.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

I don't know how to comment on that. If we all stood up for the underdog more, there would be no bullies. God, I would never go back to high school!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home