August 03, 2005

Getting laughs

I was reminded this morning of a one liner I quipped a couple of years ago. Sitting in a hot stuffy conference room for nearly a half an hour past the meeting start waiting for our boss. Now, the team in question had gone through a tough time with managers having gone through three in a 6 month period. We were the 'pros from Dover' and we knew it. We also respected this guy. He had a unique style of management that always made everyone feel like their thoughts had merit even if they didn't get used in the final product. A true gift of developing a team in other words. So, we sat and sat and sat some more. Trading funny stories and cracking wise. I don't know where it came from, but as he swept into the room and walked to the head of the table I called out in my best bailiff tone... ALL RISE... The laughter was immediate and loud. He was NOT pleased. Oh, well. Don't you wish that you could remember all the great one liners you've ripped out over the years. Replace memories of little mistakes you made or embarrassing moments with those great one liners that made the whole room break out in laughter? One of my favorite questions is what is your favorite sound? I have two. Breaking Glass and Laughter. I'm not sure what it is about the sound of breaking glass that I love other than to say it's musical. A genuine peal of laughter on the other hand is a jewel. A crown gem in my day. It doesn't matter whether I created the emotion or if it came from another source. Laughter and all it's qualties. It's a free sound. You can't really control it. Sometimes you even find a snorter... you know... "hey, you snorted..." and everyone can then laugh about that. But it's real. It's genuine. Laughter comes upon us unexpectedly. One second you can be serious and focused, the next laughing at something totally off the wall. What a great expression. It's built in, it's fun to share. Perhaps perfect. Spread some laughter today. Tell someone something unexpected, answer the phone Panamanian Pizza Place. Or send a love interest a cheesy pick up line out of the blue. Make them laugh and I promise your own day will get brighter. Try it, you'll like it.

7 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger annush said...

Laughter makes everything better. I wish there was more of that in general.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Laughter is good. Sometimes I am struck by it enough to come out of the moment and just smile as everyone else is laughing, just enjoying the sound.

Funny, I was just thinking about that the other day...

I also like baby noises, but then, I am a girl.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Mad Munkey said...

Parker - Now THAT was funny. Been awhile since I thought of that punchline. Talk about unexpected laughter. You just made my day. :-)

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger M is for... said...

Snorters of America Unite!
Misspellers of America Untie!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger BULLSEYE said...

If you say so.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Favorite sounds:

Water - the ocean, waterfalls, rain, water falling anywhere (except through a hole in the roof :-))

People speaking - French, Spainish, or Italian

Chimes

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger gP said...

hey, ncie write, enjoyed reading it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home