May 24, 2005

I have blood on my face?

OK, I spent two hours last night standing over 900 feet above Paris. Yes, I'm magic... lol Actually, I was on the third tier of the the Eiffel Tower. Not Eye Full tower, Eff Uhl... NO kidding. So, I was up there so long waiting for the sun to set. Now, the sun sets here late anyway. It's still easily light at 10 pm. Talk about daylight savings time. Holy crap. Anyway, I was waiting to see Paris at sunset and dark. (incidently, on a tour I took today, they said the best time to go up in the tower is an hour before sunset.) It was cold up there. And on three sides, quite windy. I camped out on the good side. lol I almost could have become a photographer... I was asked to take so many couple's and group photos. Strange, because when you shoot a portrait on the third level it's not like you can see any of the city behind you. Perhaps it's just the 'memory' factor of where you shot it. Beyond me. I know someone who thinks Paris should be experienced with the love of your life - to be honest, the place is a tourist trap. Perhaps not as bad as Venice 'the city of love', but honestly, if I see another sign that says souvenir shop, I'm going to puke. More on the sunset last night. At 11 pm, it was still daylight that high up, you can see for 67 km. Long ass way... lol. It was really cool to see the sun go down with a storm in the west. (See pix...) Then all the lights coming on in the city.

-----------

So, it's raining. I eat dinner at nearly 11 pm. Then, because I can't get a taxi, I have to walk back to my hotel. OK, it's only about 5 miles away. The rain stops and it's eerily quiet. Like the city just stopped moving. I get my bearings and walk... walk... walk...Where am I now...Shit. I'm freakin' lost. I have this little tourist map and not all the streets are on it. So, I go the direction I think it is... and nothing. I'm still in the middle of no-where. It's past midnight. I'm walking through the empty streets of Paris with nary a clue where I'm going. Amidst the walking, I realize that the call of nature is very strong. Several hours on the ET, dinner, water before, during and after... It's common for people to use the side of a building here... I think the one smell I will take away from Paris the the smell of urine. I think about using a building several times. Once I almost break and do it... I walk 20 feet further down the building and see a sign... It's the Egyptian Embassy. Now THAT would have been priceless. Finally, I get to a street I can find on my map and make a good guess on which way I should go from there. Finally, I end up on the street to my hotel and make my way there. Adventure... Definitely. haha

---------

Today was my last real day in Paris. I had a good time - took a bus tour of the city. I went under the Louvre, but as I said, I didn't go inside. The building is absolutely immense. It would take a good week minimum to go through it. I don't see the sense in trying to do it in a day. I also didn't go into the grotto under the city where all the skulls are. Gotta save something for my trip with the love of my life. LMAO I get a kick out of talking to people who are like, I saw the Louvre, the effiel tower, the bastille, the..... on and fucking on... and they did it all today. OMG, how can you enjoy that, you are just rushing from one place to the next. Take your time and enjoy it. Goodness.

-------

I did a simple dinner of baguette, brie, canard (duck) and plums and a little wine picnic tonight. Somehow, that seemed a fitting way to have my last meal in France. I realized today that I'm completely comfortable being alone now... At the beginning of my trip, it completely unnerved me to go somewhere and have to be alone and not be able to share the experience. Now, I'm like, it's perfect... nobody to worry about, what they want to see, and when, or be on a schedule. I sleep when I feel the need and explore when and how it suits my fancy.

Bad thing about today - When I got back to the hotel tonight, I went into the bathroom and realized why I had gotten some funny looks today. My face had bled. I didn't know it. The blood had coagulated without dripping off... how lovely to look at. I'm sooo getting skin cancer... I don't say that lightly, the idea terrifies me. I can't imagine why someone didn't say something though.

--------

In some ways, I can't believe that I've been in Europe for the last two weeks. On the other hand looking back at the photos from Florence, it seems so long ago. I did this trip on my own terms, and I think I've gained a ton from the experience. I'd go back and do some of the trip differently (with added sunscreen for sure), but overall, I can't imagine a better trip to Europe.

-------

A friend told me a few days ago that she didn't believe that I was actually in Europe for the first half of my trip. I asked why, she said, "It's something you would do... cuz only you could totally pull that off and no one would know. Your mind is just THAT good. Then one day, you'd say 'hey everyone, i was never there...look where your mind can take you'"

Part of me was sad that she would think I was capable of doing that, another side saw the merit of doing such a thing. It would be fun on a number of levels. Lastly, I am humbled by the compliment that I could fabricate such a trip in my mind and keep it going for as long as necessary. I am really in Europe though. Although it occurred to me that I don't have one single photo of me with the backdrop where I have been. That's a contrast to most travel photos... everyone wants to be in the picture... I just want to take cool pictures.

I'm sure I'll have a report of the trip home, but I wanted to thank everyone who has read this blog in the last couple weeks. And even more so, to thank those that sent me notes to support me on my solo adventure. It's been a blessing to travel this path. It's a time I will never forget. As always, hold your hands out in front of you... see where you can go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home