April 11, 2008

Word of the day

Askance.

1 : with a side-glance : obliquely
2 : with disapproval or distrust : scornfully

I've always loved this word. I don't think I've ever had a chance to use it. Too bad.

I keep trying to figure out where my obsession with words comes from. I never liked reading books 'til one day I read something in school (or from the library) and suddenly entire worlds were opened to me that I never imagined.

I looked askance at the man. Not even realizing I was blind.

3 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Buffalo said...

Great line the last sentence is.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

English major here, and i never even heard that word. I love it.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger bikeandbeer said...

i can think of a few people who probably thought more than once that you were looking askance at them... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home