June 16, 2008

Along comes a spider

How much do we really need? We live in a world of excess and consumerism. We might even be proud of it. We compete with the Joneses and we eat 'til we are grossly obese. Our drinks are supersized, our debt is even bigger. We live in a world of instant gratification. Instant news, instant humor, instant humiliation (you tube anyone?). Our Coke comes in Classic, Caffeine Free, Cherry, Vanilla, Diet and Zero. Did I miss any? Probably. Who can keep track?

I look around at all I have and I wonder is it enough? Standard philosophy says, "Not by a longshot." I'm starting to remember simpler times though. Times when the 12 inch TV was B&W and if I was lucky, I could hear all the dialog despite a rolling picture that sometimes fuzzed out. White noise was the rule, not the exception. Air conditioning was a treat not a requirement. Summer heat was the time to really play. Winter snows were a time to rejoice for the clean white powder all around. The freshness in the bitter cold of winter.

It's obvious I struggle with the day to day of how much do I need. I've never read Walden, but I think everyone is familiar with the basic tenants of the the book. The idea is to live simply, to be happy, to use what you need, no more. But, I need, I need, I need. Or do i want, want, want? I hear people complain about the price of gas, but turn around and buy a bottle of water that costs about $7 a gallon. Most of it is tap water to boot. Get your greedy fat fingers over to the sink and turn on the spigot. Drink 'til you are full. Then smile because the water is cleaner than any other country in the world.

5 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, my friend, sound like a Buddhist. We can't help but to sometimes get caught up in the wanting and variety of our age, as we are living in it. Living simply becomes a noble challenge in this day and age. I just can't wait until the world moves on, and we all go back to the way things were.

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Buffalo said...

I've been trying to answer the question of "how much is enough" for a long time.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Well, I also heard Starbuck's Coffee actually calculates to $55.00 a gallon.

I'll take a cup of gasoline, please.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger celtgirl said...

Your rants rock! They are always grounded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home